Gangrape survivor kills self after more rape threats

Police initially suspected that the girl killed herself over a domestic fight but later arrested five men in connection with the case.

A 15-year-old girl committed suicide after the men who allegedly gangraped her threatened her with rape again. The incident took place in Baghpat district of western Uttar Pradesh. Initially, police suspected that the girl killed herself over a domestic fight but later arrested five men in connection with the case.
Baghpat Superintendent of Police (SP) Jai Prakash has suspended the Ramala police station in-charge for alleged negligence in the case and a departmental probe has been initiated against him.
Accused Sonu, Monu, Rohit, Sagar and Pappu have been arrested and a case has been registered against them. The court has remanded all the five accused in police custody.
The 15-year-old victim’s mother said that her daughter was a Class 8 student in the village school. The alleged incident of gangrape took place nearly four months ago. According to the girl’s mother, the teenager had gone to a nearby shop to buy groceries but did not return home.
The family approached the police and filed a complaint against five village youth for kidnapping the girl. The girl’s mother alleged that despite a formal complaint, police did not investigate the case. According to the mother, the accused dumped the girl outside the Ramala police station five days after she went missing.
On gaining consciousness, the girl alleged that five youngsters kidnapped her and took her to a room where they gangraped her. The girl’s family registered a complaint with the police. The family alleged that police did not investigate the case and gave the accused a clean chit in their final report.
On Friday, the girl went to the nearby shop to buy a few things when the accused allegedly threatened her with rape. The girl rushed home and told her family about the rape threats but before they could approach the police, she committed suicide.
On their part, police said that the girl was not raped and therefore the five accused were given a clean chit. The girl’s family, however, claimed that the girl’s medical examination report confirmed raped. The girl’s statement was also recorded in the case.
The girl’s last rites were performed amid heavy police security on Saturday. SP Jai Prakash said that police will again investigate the rape case.

About Asmat Khan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.